Trade: Canopy Growth Company (CGC)

On January 9, I pulled the trigger and purchased another one-sixth of a full position in Canopy Growth Company at a price of $32.80.  This wasn't at a lower price or below $30 as my last purchase, which was a bit disappointing, but the stock had started to build a trend that it wasn't going to sell off again, so I bought in - despite the stock being up over 5% at the time.  This also followed what was interpreted as a disappointing fourth quarter earnings result from Constellation Brands, who has provided a significant investment into Canopy.  It was clear that commentary around the cannabis investment were strong and that more positive results were expected as we hear more from the industry.  Since the announcement and the purchase, the stock has continued to climb unabated, closing the week at a price of $38.25 - a 16% increase from my purchase price.  I don not expect this climb to continue like this, given the stock has risen over 30% on the week alone.  Expect this run to fizzle out and probably even pull back again.  At these prices, I still believe this stock to be well priced for long-term speculation.  Unless I believe I can get in and out of the stock with 30 day gaps to account for Taxation, I'll be holding onto shares even if the stock pulls back down into the 20s, but I am certainly less likely to purchase more shares at these prices.  I reiterate my rating of a 1 on the stock.

Notes:
Stock Ratings: 1 = buy at current stock prices, 2 = buy on a 5-10% dip in stock price, 3 = sell on a 5-10% increase in stock price, 4 = sell at current stock prices to raise cash.  Ratings are based upon 12-18 month outlook on stock direction and not necessarily related to moves I make due to financial positioning.

Nothing on this site should be taken as advice, research, or an invitation to buy or sell any securities.  All views expressed are solely of my own and I am not a professional money manager.  Please consult with your financial adviser before taking any action in your own portfolio.

Comments