The start of holding myself accountable

Today, I've decided to start a blog that tracks what I do and how I think about my investments.  For the most part, this blog is for me to hold myself accountable for what I do, however, if others decide they find this interesting, I look forward to a start of positive communications and idea sharing.  I think you learn the most when there's constructive discussions and I won't accept anything less.

As for me, I'm just a pretty average person.  You'll find I can be a little scattered at times and can ramble.  I try my best, though, it's just difficult sometimes.  I have decided to invest some of my savings in the hope to use my money to make more money.  I'm not rich, I'm not poor, I believe in hard work.  I have purchased stocks already and have been holding them for up to almost 2 years at this point.  I plan to start by laying those positions out talk about where I'm at, what I'm thinking, and what I know I've done right or wrong already.

Yes, I'm a fan of Jim Cramer and his TV shows.  So if that's something you can't stand, move on.  I might be a fan, I don't always agree, though, and I believe I have actually learned some things about myself and my choices through things he's discussed.  I'm also a fan of less controversial investment commentators like Jeff Macke and Herb Greenberg, so it's a matter of taking what you can learn from those that build up some trust with you and use it to build your own strategies.

When I get this blog rolling, I plan to discuss my thoughts on stocks I own or have interest in.  One thing I've learned courtesy of Jim Cramer is that I should find a way to track the history of my decisions - allow myself a chance to see what I did right and wrong so I can improve in the future.  I figured if I'm going to do that for myself, I might as well store that history somewhere that might be beneficial to others too.   My personal goals are to be able to out perform the S&P 500 with a portfolio of no more than 7 stocks at any one time.  I'm in my 30s and this isn't for retirement, so I can and will be a little more risky.  I don't know how frequent I'll post, but I hope I keep on this pretty well.  Obviously, if I get others interested, I'll have reasons to maintain my involvement, however, I won't be letting this rule my life.  I'm a common retail investor, so I have more important things to do. 

That's a quick overview to what this and I am about.  Feel free to stay around a little while and see what happens.  Right now, your guess is as good as mine!

Comments