Trade: Ionis Pharmaceuticals

Notes:
Stock Ratings: 1 = buy at current stock prices, 2 = buy on a 5-10% dip in stock price, 3 = sell on a 5-10% increase in stock price, 4 = sell at current stock prices to raise cash.  Ratings are based upon 12-18 month outlook on stock direction and not necessarily related to moves I make due to financial positioning.

Today I added and filled my position in Ionis Pharmaceuticals.  I have come to the point between timing and the company's technicals that this is the best timing I may be able to hit.  The company announced its fourth quarter earnings results for Tuesday February 21 and with the stock pulling back during the day, I took my best chance to get the stock below $47.  I would have preferred $43, but that just didn't seem possible.  I feel it is likely we'll hear more about phase 3 results before or during this earnings call, as this has become a regular pattern from the company.  Since most of these readouts will have impacts on drugs that will likely go commercial this year, I feel the stock is more likely to rise off of these announcements than fall.  I believe the stock has potential to get to and through 52-week and all time highs over the next 12 to 18 months driven by a number of drugs going commercial while others in the pipeline continue through their own paces.

If I continued to micromanage the prices, I was likely to remain frozen and miss opportunities as I have in the past.  The overall market has been booming and could pull back, but for IONS, the stock hasn't performed in suit.  Therefore I felt like this was a comfortable move with the data I worked with.  The rest I leave to time and the company's ability to deliver.

Nothing on this site should be taken as advice, research, or an invitation to buy or sell any securities.  All views expressed are solely of my own and I am not a professional money manager.  Please consult with your financial adviser before taking any action in your own portfolio.

Comments